Friday 16 August 2013

A few of my favourite things

Lately I have become aware that I am not the only one noticing that our culture seems to have become obsessed with bigger and better experiences. Looking at Facebook, so many describe their lives using terms like "the best" or "the most (wonderful, fantastic, awesome)" to describe their event, spouse, child or whatever. Aside from the fact that I wonder where it leaves anyone else’s event, spouse or child, it would seem that even though many of us have more time and money to do all these things, most are still not satisfied or even happy. Even Jim Carrey, who would know, is quoted as saying I hope everybody could get rich and famous and will have everything they ever dreamed of, so they will know that it's not the answer.”

On the flip side, sometimes I feel like my life is made up of far too much of the mundane. Washing clothes, cooking meals and other menial household chores can feel like repetitive drudgery. Every now and then, though, I suddenly find the pleasure in doing them again. My latest cosy is a great reminder of the satisfaction I find in washing hanging out in the sunshine and breeze and the fresh smell the clothes have when you bring them in. 
As we get to the end of a long winter when I rarely bother to hang my washing outside, this cosy evokes the memories of summer, the scent of freshly mown lawns, the warmth of the sun, and crisp sheets waving in the breeze. The anticipation of the Spring and Summer to come re-energises me.

Doing another of those repetitive chores - the dishes - the other evening, I was struck by the homeliness of my wooden spoons. There is something about them that says "home" in a comforting way. The stories they could tell about the meals they have helped cook, and the fellowship and family that has been enjoyed and shared around those meals. And they also tell a story about me, as each spoon seems to have ended up with quite specific uses. I couldn't really tell you why, but I am quite obsessive about it.



Thinking about all these ordinary things, many of which we are trying to minimise our time on, by using dryers, dishwashers and now the thermomix, (which apparently does all these things and more – perhaps the next generation will call them “Mother”), I can’t help wondering whether perhaps we are losing more than we gain. Many an important conversation has been had over doing the dishes, as well as a lot of fun. Some of my fondest memories from childhood include preparing and preserving food. My mother preserved peaches, pears, apricots and cherries to name a few. Not only was it labour intensive but usually in the peak temperatures of summer. She also made all our jam at this time, and we used an old fashioned mincer as shown here.
Have you ever seen the number of interesting gadgets available for making cooking easier? There are hundreds and hundreds! Most of them I thought... As small children, we were excited when we were deemed old enough to turn the handle without the fear of losing our fingers. It was family time, where we bonded around preparing food for the colder months, but could also contribute to the well-being of the family as a whole. I think our children have missed out on something special here.


What are some of the simple things that give you pleasure, or memories of such you have? I would love you to share them here.

2 comments:

  1. You're right Ruth, some of the simple things but fondest memories were doing the dishes with Simon when we were little and the funny conversations that would arise and end in fits of laughter. The other was the job of picking up all the liquid amber seed pods off our lawn, well known as prickle balls or bommiknockers. This chore became a race to fill your bucket first or an all out prickle bomb war :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it brought back happy memories, Shelley. Your memories reminded me of when I was about 5, and we had the "Great Peppercorn Wars" in our street. There were a row of peppercorn trees on the other side of the road to our houses, and all the kids in the street joined in throwing peppercorns at each other...So much simple fun :)

    ReplyDelete

Potato Salad with a lot of Difference...and chicken.

SERVES:4-5                           PREP TIME: 40-50 mins Summer is well and truly upon us in the Southern Hemisphere and I find myself...