Friday 20 October 2017

Greatest Granola with the lot

As the long cold winter finally seems to be leaving us, so does the desire for warm, gooey porridge. In the past, I tried supposedly 'healthy' processed cereals and granolas, but I found that they were either way too sweet or pretty much like eating cardboard. So I decided I would try making it myself.

I found a recipe that sounded quite good, but have since modified and added to it substantially to the point where I think I can call this my own. It is fairly simple, and you can exchange many of the ingredients as you please. It is a very forgiving recipe - you can adjust most things (especially the dry ingredients) to your liking. Lately I have found some' "unstabilised" rolled oats that seem to make it lighter again. Served with plain greek yogurt and maybe a little fresh fruit, even hubby is getting into it.

Ingredients:
3 cups rolled oats
100g (or more) of nuts - I have been using a mixture of almonds and walnuts lately (I really like either slivered or sliced, but any will do. They are easier to eat if broken up a bit)
50g sunflower seeds
50g pepitas
2 tblsp sesame seeds
2 tblsp linseeds
1tblsp chia seeds
3tblsp coconut flakes or shredded
1/2 cup cranberries (if you can find with less sugar, that is great - I have found that Woolworths select have about 1/2 the sugar as Ocean Spray and no other sweeteners)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tblsp cold pressed coconut oil, warmed to liquid
125ml maple syrup or rice malt syrup
2 tblsp honey (optional - maybe add a little more of the other instead)
1 tsp vanilla essence or paste

Method:
Turn oven on to 150 deg C and line two baking trays with paper.

Put all the oats, nuts, seeds, cinnamon and turmeric into a large bowl and mix well. Warm the coconut oil to liquid (either a quick zap in the microwave, or sit the bowl in warm water), and add syrup, honey and vanilla and mix well.

Pour liquid into the dry ingredients and mix until it is all coated.
Spread the mixture onto the trays as evenly as possible and pop it into the oven for about 15 mins. After this you can add the coconut (it tends to burn if in for longer), and remix on the tray. You can put the cranberries on at this point also, but they will go quite hard afterwards. Put the trays back in for another 12-15mins (watch it doesn't burn, particularly around the edges). Take out of the oven and place trays on racks to cool, sprinkling evenly with the cranberries. I tend to give it another move around on the tray at this point, otherwise I have found that it has very large chunks which are quite hard to break up when cool.

When it is completely cooled, break it up and put it into an airtight container. Serve with plain yogurt and/or milk, or just eat it as a snack from the container!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Potato Salad with a lot of Difference...and chicken.

SERVES:4-5                           PREP TIME: 40-50 mins Summer is well and truly upon us in the Southern Hemisphere and I find myself...